Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sunday wonders - S

S is for Service.


Today, I will be laying a poppy wreath at the end of the service to honor our local veterans.  And to remember all those who have gone off to war and never come home.  Too many wars.   At the end of the day, the gray stone cairn is made beautiful with the brilliant red poppies, green leaves and purple ribbons.


This is what the day always meant to me when I was growing up.  It meant my father marching in the parade.  Here he's leading his Air Cadet color party sometime in the early 1960's. When I was even younger, it was exciting to see him all dressed up in a kilt, black busby hat and high white gaiters. Hey!  That's my dad playing the snare drums in the pipe band.

To this day, the sound of the skirling pipes, the rat-a-tat of the drums makes me cry.  It wouldn't be a Nov. 11 service without the pipers. Thank you, veterans, for your service to all of us. 

5 comments:

Joyful said...

I say 'thank you' too.

Mimi said...

and "thank you" from me too. It is important to remember those who sacrificed so much for us, so that we can have freedom today.

Tanna said...

Amen, Stephanie. Amen. Well said.

Rudee said...

Such a lovely post.

Susan Kane said...

Well said, Stephanie.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin